Photo ID

Most people already have the photo ID they need to vote.  They are: 

Acceptable ID’s at the poll (even if EXPIRED after November 2014):

WI driver’s license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended

WI driver’s license or ID with incorrect address

  • WI DOT issued identification card WI DOT issued driver’s license or ID without photo
  • Military ID card issued by US uniformed service
  • US passport book or card

Acceptable ID’s (UNEXPIRED)

  • Certificate of naturalization issued not more than 2 years ago
  • Driving Receipt issued by WI DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • D card receipt issued by WI DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • Federally issued WI Tribal ID card
  • School Photo ID with signature, date issued and expiration date no more than 2 years old
  • Notice of revocation or suspension issued by WI DOT dated within 60 days of election


When applying for an original ID card (first time) you must visit a Div. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customer service center and complete the WI ID application form MV3004 and provide:

  • Proof of name and date of birth (birth certificate, passport, certificate of naturalization)
  • Proof of identity (a document with a signature or photo)
  • Proof of WI residency (utility or tax bill, lease)
  • Proof of US citizenship or status (birth certificate or status paperwork)
  • Social Security number


  • Currently have a valid, unexpired driver’s license
  • Are not at least 18 on the date of next election
  • Not eligible to vote in WI

If you hold a valid driver’s license and wish to apply for an ID card, you will be required to surrender your driver’s license. You cannot have both a driver’s license and an ID card.

  • If you held a driver’s license in the past eight years and now wish to apply for an original ID card, you only need to provide Proof of Identity upon application.

For more information call:            ID card for voting (608)266-1069

All other ID Card questions (608) 264-7447